GELATO WORLD TOUR 2.0
Announces Top 16 Asia Pacific Flavours Vying for
“WORLD’S BEST GELATO” Title
• Finalists from India, Indonesia, Malaysia, New Zealand, Philippines,
Thailand, Vietnam, 3 from Australia and 6 from Singapore
• 20 to 22 March 2015, Marina Bay Sands Singapore
Singapore, 4 March 2015 – The much-anticipated second edition of Gelato World Tour (GWT) will start in Singapore on March 20, making it Asia’s first Gelato Capital of the World. For three consecutive days, this extraordinary event at the Marina Bay Sands will flag off the “Formula One of Gelato” and also celebrate fifty years of the Singapore Republic in the coolest way.
Gelato World Tour, the first international travelling competition in search of the best flavours in the world, is directed by the prestigious Carpigiani Gelato University and Sigep, the most important exhibition in the world for the artisan production of gelato, pastry, confectionery and bakery products held in Rimini, Italy. Its mission is to spread the culture of Italian-style gelato, a fresh, artisan food product throughout the world. The main partners are IFI, international leader in the manufacturing of display cases for gelaterias and PreGel, the world’s largest producer of ingredients for gelato, pastry and coffee shops, official licensee of EXPO Milano 2015. Prodea Group is the operating partner and Felicitas Global Pte Ltd is the event’s local partner in Singapore. In its first edition, GWT toured seven gelato capitals in the world, namely Rome, Valencia, Melbourne, Dubai, Austin, Berlin and Rimini.
Visitors to the event will be delighted by the amazing flavours freshly created on the spot and presented by new and seasoned gelato artisans from the Asia Pacific region as they pit themselves against each other in the quest to win the prestigious “World’s Best Gelato” title. The top 16 gelato flavours of the Asia Pacific region* were picked by the Selection Jury presided by Pang Kok Keong, Chef and founder of Sugar Daddy Group, Yeoh Wee Teck, columnist with The New Paper, and renowned Luciana Polliotti, journalist and curator of the historical Gelato Museum Carpigiani.
On 24 and 25 March 2015, the Carpigiani Gelato University will inaugurate a new Singapore programme in partnership with At-Sunrice GlobalChef Academy, by offering special open day sessions. There are 40 places available, free admission is upon request. To register please write to email@example.com. At-Sunrice GlobalChef Academy will become the first hub of the Carpigiani Gelato University in the Asia-Pacific region.
As another first for the Singapore leg, the tour will host an exclusive “Gelato with a Heart” dinner. At this first ever event in Asia Pacific gelato will take centrestage from appetizer to dessert. Created by well-known Chef Christopher Christie of Marina Bay Sands and Pastry Chef Pang Kok Keong, in collaboration with the local Italian instructor of the Carpigiani Gelato University, the menu will feature combinations of hot and cold, sweet and savoury, unique fusions of the East and West masterpieces. The dinner will include an auction where proceeds will be donated to beneficiaries of the Singapore President's Challenge 2015. Only a few special early bird promotion seats remain available (reservations can be made by calling 6224 6788 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org ).
List of the Top 16 Flavours Vying for “WORLD’S BEST GELATO” Title
• Kochi Popz by Chronos Chan & Eunice Soon of Tom’s Palette, Singapore
• Caramel and Almond Crunch by Vanjimuthu Palaniswamy & Kavithamani Vanjimuthu of Boomerang, Coimbatore, India
• Coffee and Nuts with Sesame Brittle by Angsna Dhippayom of I - Kitchen Restaurant, Had Yai, Thailand
• Mango Ube Symphony by Zarah Zaragoza-Manikan of Bono Artisanal Gelato, Makati City, Manila, Philippines
• Roasted Walnut and Honey Crunch by David Lamprell, Michael & Brian O’Donnell of 48 Flavours, Adelaide, SA, Australia
• Burnt Butter with toffee almond brittle by Robbie Hill of Yamba Icecreamery, Yamba, NSW, Australia
• Chendol Merdeka by Marco Alfero of Alfero Artisan Gelato, Singapore
• Loving Date by Stefano Cadorin of +39 Gelato Bar, Singapore
• Singapore Sling by Charles Tan of FATCAT Ice Cream Bar, Singapore
• Croccante alla Fragola by Mirko Stortini of Gelato Italia, Hanoi, Vietnam
• Curcuma (or Temulawak) by Andre Soenjoto of de Boliva, Surabaya, Indonesia
• Good ‘Ol Days by Sharon Tay of Momolato, Singapore
• Beer with Ciambella by Harish Doneka of Pick Me Up Cafe, Singapore
• Vanilla of the East by Keewin & Seow Han Ong of Cielo Dolci, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
• Lemon Zest with Fig Marmalade & Dark Chocolate by Antonino Lo Iacono of Gelatony, Sydney, NSW, Australia
• From the Cradle to the Grave by Steve & Chrissie Powell of Vostrogusto Gelato, Wellington, New Zealand
Highlights of the 3-Day Event
The GWT Village is located at Exhibition Hall D, Marina Bay Sands Convention Centre. Entry is FREE for all visitors. The programme will include (on a firstcome-first-served basis):
• Mini Courses for adults and children by the gelato chefs of Carpigiani Gelato University on “What is Gelato?”. Participants will also be the first to hear more details about the 4-week program that teaches participants on how they can become successful gelato entrepreneurs.
• How to open a gelato shop? Educational workshops by Academia IFI
• Tonda Challenge by IFI @ PreGel tent
• Discover the secrets of gelato “Always FrescoTM” with PreGel
• Live cooking demonstration by Chef Dave Pynt, Burnt Ends, Singapore
Visitors will be invited to vote for their favourite flavour from the top 16 finalists with a Gelato Ticket, which can be purchased at the INFO POINT located in the Gelato World Tour Village. Each ticket is priced at SGD12 for 8 tasting portions in cones of 40grams each Visitors can participate in the Taste & Win draw where they stand to win fantastic prizes. The votes of the visitors and GWT’s Technical Jury will determine the top three flavours to represent the Asia Pacific region at the Grand Finale of the Gelato World Tour 2.0 to be held in Rimini, Italy in 2017.
To follow the stages of Gelato World Tour: www.gelatoworldtour.com.